Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Patience


Isaiah 40:31
But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.
Today we were hoping for the official approval from the board and the date to be confirmed for Valentine’s Day.  Of course we didn’t get the call, before you get all crazy we didn’t get any call, I talked by email to my coordinator and he said he would try to call tonight, but he might not be in contact until tomorrow.  So we are still on hold until tomorrow, so check back in for what is hopefully the good news and a final approval on the date. 

Back to the story: June 2011
Still patience is definitely the theme for this blog entry.  Kate and I returned from UNC no further along in the process than we thought we would be, our expectations were that we would come back from UNC with a full approval to donate and we could start thinking about a date.  Instead on the ride back to Florida we were scheduling Dr’s appointments to find out why my Iron was low and my spleen is enlarged. 
We scheduled an appt. with Dr. Gilbert so I could get a referral to a hematologist.  Now you have to know Dr. Gilbert who is really my favorite Dr. ever and I was referred by my good friend Beau.  Dr. Gilbert is the kind of Dr. you can call and have an appt. the same day or at worst the next day.  He doesn’t have the best bedside manner but you get in and out quickly and he knows his stuff.  Dr. Gilbert really thought there was probably nothing wrong with me, he really thought it was a bad idea to do full body scans like they had done at UNC, because they always find something that is hard to explain.
He recommended me to a hematologist at the Palm Beach Cancer Institute (once again not a place you want to have to go get checked out).  The appt was scheduled for June 21st, so we managed to get in within the month.  They drew blood again, and I had another CT scan to take a look at my spleen, there was a lot of pushing on my stomach to see if they could feel my enlarged spleen and also my armpits to see if I had enlarged lymph nodes.  They say that being the correct weight is better for your health, and it also makes it easier to diagnose things like an enlarged spleen.

Long story short after all of the tests it turns out that I didn’t have an enlarged spleen, it is only misshapen.  It also turns out that my iron levels could be explained by the fact that I am a heavy blood donor and I had been eating so poorly.  So at this point Kate and I were back to feeling pretty good about being able to donate.  There would still be more tests and a couple other road blocks but we were back on track heading toward the donation.

Galatians 6:9
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment