Sunday, January 22, 2012

Road Trip

 So when was the last time you went on a good road trip?  It’s not something we get to do a lot as adults.  It takes too long, nobody likes to spend that much time in a car, and well we live in fast food world, what can I get and how quick can I get it.

In August of 2010 Kate and I set out on a road trip!  I was a groomsman in Stephens wedding (yes, Stephen from LTQENUICP)  in Louisville, Kentucky.   We decided we were going to drive up to Louisville, and then go to New Jersey to see my Grandmother; also I hadn’t had a good Philly cheese steak in a while so I needed to make a visit to Philadelphia. 
The wedding weekend was great. We stayed at the Galt House hotel which is right downtown on the river.  We took a bike ride along the river and I got a flat tire. We also got to visit Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby.  All in all, a great time and we were so happy to spend time with Dude (which is what Kate and I call Stephen).

Since we were making a long drive, we decided to add another fun destination onto the trip. There was only one problem; what is between Louisville and New Jersey?  Well look at the map, there really isn’t, just a whole lot of nothing, a lot of Ohio and all of Pennsylvania.  So of course, our logical decision was to go up to Canada!  After the wedding we drove to Niagara Falls, which is one of the Seven Wonders of the World.  It ended up being a great side trip - we had fall views from our hotel and even took our bikes for a nice long ride.  We even went out on the maid of the mist; which gets you closer to the falls than anything else.  And we splurged and went out on the high speed jet boat that hits high level rapids (now, if only they would let me take our kayaks on it). Niagara Falls is a location that you need to get to at some point in your life. It was the second time that I had been there and the first for Kate.
Side Note, everyone I tell thinks this idea is crazy but I want to create the virtual experience of going over the falls in a barrel, I think it would be a gold mine and you know you are thinking right now I would pay $25 bucks for that.
Back to the story, next we headed to Skaneateles, New York. I’m guessing you have no idea where that is, well it is in upstate NY and we stopped there to visit a couple from the church that was part of my small group.  They live up in NY for the summer because of his work, and that summer they had twins that were 4 months early, they were stuck in NY without any friends and family so we were able to stop by for an afternoon and spend some time with them. 
Then on to New Jersey, where I got a John’s Roast Pork cheese steak, which the only thing better might be there Roast Pork Sandwich, if you find yourself in Philly don’t waste your time with Geno’s or Pat’s, but make your way to John’s Roast Pork, just make sure to do it early, they are only open on weekdays until about 3pm or when they run out of rolls or meat. 
At this point you have to wonder why I am going on and on about this road trip so much, well it really was a great time and 3 weeks that Kate and I got to spend enjoying the road.  But you are asking what does this have to do with the kidney donation.
Right, that is why I am writing a blog, the kidney donation, sometimes I can get to be very absent minded.  I forgot to tell you that the last stop on the trip was to the University of North Carolina Medical Center in Chapel Hill, NC, to make a visit to someone who happened to be in the hospital at this time.  I think you know who, but to find out more about that you are going to have to tune in tomorrow. 
You always see weird things on road trips, someone explained to me once what this probably meant, but i still think it is hilarious.
If you’re out on your bikes tonight, do wear white. ( I need a closing line, I am going to use other peoples till I come up with my own, I take suggestions.)

No comments:

Post a Comment