Monday, March 19, 2012

When the Routine isn't Routine

So we are back in Florida and trying to settle back into the normal routine.  While I am talking about the routine I know you have become used to a post a day from Kate and I but moving forward we won’t be posting every day.  First of all there isn’t as much to talk about being home and recovering, and second since we are back into are regular routine there isn’t quite as much time to post.  We hope this will allow are posts to have a little more depth to them.
Kate has made most of the posts since we started traveling back to Florida.  The ride in the car was very difficult for me.  We didn’t drive more than 4 hours a day, but in those 4 hours of driving you have no idea how much your insides move around in a moving car. 
On the second day I was in quite a bit of pain, so much so that I needed to start on the pain medication again.  Also on that day I realized that if I sat on top of the bottom part of the seatbelt it wouldn’t rub on my incisions, which helped a lot.  I am very lucky to have such a wonderful wife to take the time driving me back and putting up with me during all of my complaining on the trip.  We traveled the back roads for most of the trip, and I navigated in a scenic way that I know frustrated her some of the time, but we made it safely and had a pretty good time.
Now that we are back we have settled into our normal routine.  I was able to attend the Christ Fellowship Cityplace Men’s prayer breakfast, it was very good to see many of the men from my men’s group and the other leaders of the church.  Sunday we attended church, I had missed the worship, there is just something about worship in the harriet it is a great venue.  Once again John had a great sermon and it was good to be back to our church home. 
Sunday afternoon Philip offered me a ticket to a spring training game between the Marlins and the Twins.  It was a beautiful day and a great game, but sitting in a bleacher chair for 3 hours made me sorer than I had been in a long time.  It is crazy to think that just sitting in a chair can be something that strains your body the same as an hour long workout, but that is the case when you are recovering from surgery.  Slowly I am able to get about more and more on a daily basis, but several hours of activity are always followed by several hours of rest.
Kate says it best when people see me out I am dressed and look normal but around the house I am usually in mesh shorts and resting from the trips outside.  I would also like to thank those of you who have brought meals the last two nights, they were very good and Kate and I were very thankful to not have to cook.
The next blog post should be on Wednesday, we will try to post on Monday and Wednesday and then one post on Friday or Saturday for the new schedule.  Thanks again for taking the time to follow us on this journey. 
One last note is that Ashley is doing very well, she is out of the Hospital and getting closer to being back to her normal routine.  She was able to drink 91 ounces of fluid yesterday which is a huge accomplishment.  We will continue to keep you updated on her status. 

No comments:

Post a Comment