Friday, February 17, 2012

Pre-Op


Today I had the pre-op for the surgery.  It was pretty simple we had to show up at the hospital at 10am, and we were out by 12:30 so short and mostly painless.  We met with our kidney donor and they informed us of all our rights and options.  They want to make sure you know what you are doing and understand all the risks (aka – talk you out of donating). 

They drew at least 10 vials of blood, gave me and EKG and a chest x-ray.  I shaved my arms in preparation for the surgery and when I told the EKG lady she said that I should shave my chest as well. Now we are thinking about running out and buying some clippers, maybe I should just go for a full body wax (that didn’t look like such a good idea for the guys on amazing race a couple seasons ago).  All in all it was an uneventful trip to the hospital if you can say that, but as of now we are ready to go for the 21st. 
 
We told Ashley about all the things we had forgotten and it seems like she has wrangled up quite a few of them for us, it really has been cool to see how the community has rallied around her up here.  And also rallied around us because of it as well, we really appreciate all the prayers and thoughts for help we have received.  Right now we are trying to take advantage of the weekend because we know in less than a week I probably won’t have as much energy.  Even though in my head I envision myself waking up from the surgery and just getting up and walking around (I’m not crazy I know that isn’t going to happen).

People keep asking me if I’m nervous and that really isn’t the case.  I mean I played baseball through college so I understand the nerves when you’re getting ready for a big game, and I am married so I am familiar with the wedding jitters as well.  It’s not like I don’t get nervous.  There has been so much preparation for this that I just feel like I have all the information and God is giving me a calming peace about everything.  I’m sure the day of the surgery I will have feelings that I don’t really understand. 

Right now though I just have some extra nervous energy, I mean we have been building up to this day and we traveled all the way up, did the test, and now we have 4 days before anything is going to happen.  It can be hard to fill the time.  

Kate on the other hand has the perfect outlet for her energy; we are in a new place with a bunch of stuff to unpack and plenty of areas to decorate.  We got flowers at Wal-Mart last night, (50% off after valentines, that’s right I’m cheap).  We have some of what must be 50 magazines that Kate brought on the coffee table, and books on the fireplace mantle, it is as if we have lived here for years.  She was right though it is nice to have our own space, and it doesn’t hurt to have it feel like a home.


One more note before I check out for the day, Ashley had to go into the hospital today, she will be there all the way up to the surgery.  She needs to be put on some antibiotics leading up to the surgery and she is allergic to them.  This means that she has to be in the hospital so that they can monitor her and make sure there isn’t a bad reaction.   So we will be going in tomorrow for a visit, it’s not like you can ever get enough of going to the hospital. 

No comments:

Post a Comment