Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Thoughts from late at night

*sorry for the delay - this was scheduled to post first thing this morning, don't know what happened.... there will be another update again today - maybe around 3 (or when Jeremy is napping) *

As I am sitting in the quite of Jeremy’s hospital room, I am reflecting on the amazing events of the day.  Jeremy is sleeping peacefully and I have had several hours alone with him.  It is hard to believe that such a diverse amount of activities and emotions can exist in a single day.  Today has been an amazing day – full of struggle, courage and triumph. But now that I have had a few minutes to process this monumental thing we experienced, I am overwhelmed by the goodness that exists in people.  

Our early (and cold) morning started off with a bundle of nerves as we prepared for Jeremy to go into surgery.  I was allowed to stay with Jeremy in the surgery prep room.  During that hour and a half we were pretty silent.  We had spoken in length the night before and rose early to pray together.  As a couple we were united in what was about to take place.  And it is hard to explain, but both of us had an overwhelming peace…. Actually it is not hard to explain.  We had a peace that transcends all other understanding, a peace that only God could give us.  And we really did feel good about the surgery ahead.  This is not to say we did not experience nerves or a few tears, but it was rather the confidence that we knew no matter the outcome of the day, our God was big enough to get us through it.  

From the moment they wheeled Jeremy away at 7:30am, the time just seemed to fly by.  As you probably read from all my posts throughout the day, Jeremy’s and Ashley’s surgeries were a great success. Textbook according to the doctors!  It was a successful transplant – and the kidney took to its new home right away!

I am happy to report that Ashley is feeling great.  She is still experiencing the normal after surgery aches and pains… but she said she feels strong!  Her first words to me were “we did it”. And we did.  Through all the struggles of the matching process and all the insurance setbacks, we made it to our goal.  

But our goal is not a realistic picture of what today was.  Yes, Ashley has a working kidney – that’s what we needed.  But today was so much more than that.  It was people coming together.  It was a community surrounding us in support.  It was families being bonded together.  It was a love that spread so much further than just those in the operating room.  And it was all to the glory of God. 
During the surgery, God gave me this verse – my church had actually posted it on Facebook.  After reading it, I just knew the post was for me and Jeremy.  

I John 3:16
“This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.  And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.”  

That truly is what Jeremy just did.  I am so proud of my husband.  I am amazed with the man he has become.  When we first started dating I told Jeremy that I did not see him as all the things he had done wrong.  But that I saw him for what he was going to become. And this is what he has become.  I can’t even type this without tears because I never knew that I could love this man so much.  I don’t even know the words to explain how I feel.  But it has been such a blessing to hear all these wonderful things people are saying about my husband.  And I am so thankful that his step of faith has encouraged others.  

Really the biggest impact today has made on me is the outpouring of love from so many people.  Posting updates during the surgery was the perfect thing to keep me occupied.  The beautiful byproducts of the updates were the comments so many people left.  I was overwhelmed by how many people left comments, sent notes, shared our story and were praying for us.  I am blown away from the support of so many people - people from around the globe and so many of them that I have never even met.  These acts of kindness, out pouring of love and complete support are what made this day so special.  I don’t think I really grasp the magnitude of the impact the day really created.  But I am blessed to be a small part of it.  I sincerely thank you for going through this journey with us.  We are so blessed beyond belief.  And we are extremely joyful that Ashley has a new kidney.  

I will continue to make multiple updates on the recovery and progress of Ashley and Jeremy.  Plus there are some pictures to post!  I am sure Jeremy will be back to writing the blog in no time.  Sorry if I got to sappy or rambled on too much.  After all it has been a long day full of emotions.  But please do know that everyone here at the hospital today was truly blessed by everyone else cheering us on.  Praise be to God. 



1 comment:

  1. You said it girl...Prause be to God!..The Great Physician.

    ReplyDelete