Thursday, February 2, 2012

Surgery Update: A Snapshoot of our Week

Monday, January 30th:
3:30 - Jeremy’s case is presented to the board
                5pm - No Word

Tuesday, January 31st
                Morning – UNC approved Jeremy!!!!!  Moving forward for February 14th
                Afternoon – start the process of booking apartment and submitting dates to work

Wednesday, February 1st
                Morning – Apartment booked and confirmed! And Work dates submitted
                Evening – UNC coordinators (both Jeremy’s and Ashley’s) think the 14th is doubtful.

Thursday, February 2nd
                Morning – UNC takes away the 14th as a surgery date.  Our next hope is the 21st.

Who knew 4 days could bring so much up and down.  The UNC final board approval is what we have been waiting on for a year and a half.  It was our goal.  Something to rejoice and celebrate.  But when we got word of the approval it did not bring much joy or excitement.  There was a heavy shadow hanging over us – Ashley’s Medicaid has not approved Jeremy.  There has been a frenzy of phone call and emails to both coordinators.  But it basically comes down to Medicaid.  They have 15 days to approve Jeremy and they have said to stop calling, they will take as much time as they need.  

So this morning, Ashley’s coordinator emailed and said the surgeons would not hold the 14th any longer.  The 14th is no longer an option and they are now holding the 21st.  The 21st was our last choice and gets complicated for several reasons.
1.       I (Kate) have to be in Florida on March 1st for a weekend show – my largest in the spring.  That does not give a large enough window for Jeremy’s recovery
2.       We will have to figure out a new plan that might involve flights back and forth, family members driving back up, etc.
3.       Our apartment is only available till March 2nd – so we will have to find another place for Jeremy to stay after that. 
4.       And the biggest – we are ready for the surgery to happen NOW!

There is still so much unknown.  Jeremy does not have a confirmed pre-op date.  And the biggest issue is the Medicaid approval.  They have 15 days to give a response.  And we are not guaranteed an approval – remember after all they denied Ashley and it took a several month legal battle to get the approval. 

With all the ups and downs we have experienced, this week did bring a great victory – Jeremy is matched to be Ashley’s donor!  Even though it is a struggle, we have to change our mindset.  We have to rejoice that Jeremy is a match and that the surgery is almost here.  We have so much to be thankful for!  But the battle is not done.  Please pray for Medicaid approval.  God hears our bold and audacious prayers.  We know He has the perfect timing and the perfect plan.  Please also pray that everyone involved can relinquish their worries and anxieties to God. 

Philippians 4:6-7
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Thank you for your support and prayers through this all.  We really could not face this without the love and support from our family and friends. 

2 Corinthians 4:16-18
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.


1 comment:

  1. I dont know if it would be helpful, but there was just a local story about the news reporters getting involved to help a girl get back on medicaid. Wonder if the news reporter by Ashley could help.